07: Mural Design Workshop

February 2018 Half-term 

Half-day workshop on mural design with some of the youth group members at Bellingham Gateway Community Centre, ages 7-11 years old. Some lovely ideas to work with, looking forward to creating a design using these ideas for the tunnel.



















And our character mascot for the project, who will be on any marketing and the launch poster for sure – Michael Recycle – with a message about rubbish and saving the planet. Illustrated and designed by Rosie, aged 10.


In the session, I supplied the group with some photos of urban nature. I encouraged them to choose 3-5 of their favourite animals or plants, and to use them to help them draw and come up with mural ideas. Some chose to use the photos and others wanted to draw their own pictures. They also had the option to do colouring in. I pinned up real murals for inspiration in the room, along with some photos of my work and the tunnel and space we will be painting in April.

Here I want to share some examples of how the drawings from the youth group influenced the final design, how I tried to include favourite animals, features and shapes.






Comments